The number of years we’re on the planet can sometimes make us melancholy instead of excited. Although this year has definitely had me thinking more about my age and the limitations of life; I’m over being afraid of numbers that define us. This year, however, the number seemed the most significant. I’m officially older than my Mom was when she had her first stroke. This milestone is not lost on me. When you reach an age that maybe your parents didn’t reach in a healthy way, it does something to you. I’ve had days when I’ve worried I wouldn’t make it to this birthday. I would tell myself not to overthink it because I also believe in the quote “what you think, you become”. I won’t go into detail about how this year has affected me but I will say I welcome the new number. I’m grateful that I’m healthy. I’ve lost too many people in my life not to be. I will honor my body. I will try to create balance and take care of my body AND my spirit. I’m excited I’ve made it this far. Moreover, I’m grateful.
One of My Favorite Birthday Quotes
“The idea is to die as young as late as possible.” – Ashley Montagu
What I’ve Learned So Far
- You know who you are and you don’t feel the need to explain yourself to anyone.
- You have learned some tough lessons and are aware enough to use them in your daily life.
- You know that becoming older doesn’t mean you are old. What does old mean anyway?
- You know that each year is a gift to be cherished, respected, and honored.
- You’ve learned the importance of standing back and taking a good long breath.
- You appreciate your past and realize that in life there should be no regrets.
- You know that you can still do or be anything you want. Yes, anything.
- You know that taking care of yourself on the inside is just as important as taking care of the outside.
- You know that no one escapes pain.
- You know you can stand on your own if you need to.
- You know what you’re worth.
- You know that there can be a lot more good to come.
- You know it’s important to believe in something, even if that something is you.
No matter how many candles light up your birthday cake this year, I wish you happiness, health, and the opportunity to do the things you love. I was fortunate to have celebrated my birthday with my feet in the sand relaxing on one of my favorite beaches. It doesn’t get much better than that.
Here’s to finding your style,™- Kim
♥Photo Credit to Sarah at SMMG Photography
*kimbentley blog posts may contain affiliate links where commissions are earned when linking product information I share.