With Midwest temperatures struggling to make it above zero degrees, it’s time to cozy up and add a bit a Hygge to your life. Hygge (pronounced hoo-gah) is a Danish word, and in simplest terms, it is translated as the feeling of coziness and well being. You know that feeling when you have it. It’s about taking pleasure in the simple things, feeling settled in, content, and cozy. Try these relaxing steps to balance a hectic life.
7 Steps to Find Hygge
- Light a Fire. Gather your candles and surround yourself by candlelight. If you’re lucky enough to have a fireplace, use it!
- A Hot Drink. There’s something about drinking hot tea or hot cocoa that just feels cozy.
- Unplug. It’s time to write in your journal or dust off the book you’ve been meaning to read and turn some pages. Turn off the cell phone, computer, and television.
- Surround Yourself with Nature. Whether you bundle up to walk outside in the woods or whether you bring plants or natural elements into your home, surrounding yourself with nature is very hygge.
- Bake Something. Find an old family recipe and envelope your home with nostalgic and yummy aromas.
- A Hot Bath. Relax in a hot bath after your workout instead of taking a quick shower. Enhance your bath by adding fragrant oils.
- Don’t Forget Your pets. Sitting with your favorite pet by your side is good for you! My dog Bentley loves to snuggle in, and I’m sure yours will too!
For more ideas to help make your home feel like a warm hug follow our UNPLUG Pinterest Board.